Tuesday, December 28, 2010

My Navy Nephew...

The last few weeks have gone by in a blur, full of excitement and events. Let me start from the beginning...On December 2, my Nephew Nick, came home for one month on leave and got to spend Christmas with all the family. And I think I might have mentioned a time or two how much I miss that kid??? Yea, I do. So when he first got home, his parents had a family dinner so we could all come over and see him. Little did they know I was stalking outside waiting to jump him when he came out. ;o)

It was so good to see him. To get my arms around him. He has had a tough last year, being out at sea, homesick and stuff, and its killed me to not be able to hug him or be there for him physically. Although I was there via Facebook IM chats late into the nights, email, phone calls and care packages. He knew he was never alone.
Nick and his sister, Stephanie and dad/my brother.

The cousins all missed him too. Nick is the oldest grandchild/cousin, so everyone looks up to him and adores him. He's always one of the ones who gets down on the floor and plays with them. And Emily has a special place in her heart for him. She always gets a special hug from him. She always has a place on his lap. And he always goes looking for her when she plays shy and hides. And then you can hear her giggles when he captures her in his arms and tickles her endlessly.
Austin adores him too, although he's a little more subtle about it. He has to play it "Macho" you know. He would pull out the Xbox every time Nick would come over and get him to play games with him. He would stand close by him and listen to every word, absorbing as much as he could of his big cousin. Even trying to fit into the conversation. He would ask me almost every night if Nick was coming over.

So Nick's last week here, we had him over by himself for a home cooked dinner and some quiet family time with him. It was so awesome. The kids almost jumped him when he walked in the door. After dinner, we visited and played card games for several hours. He looked relaxed and I couldn't help but sit there thinking to myself that this man before me was the little boy who would curl up in my lap and cuddle and watch Barney with me. Who would come spend the night and I would take everywhere pretending he was mine before I had children. That this man before me was going to be leaving soon and I just hadn't had enough time with him. That I hadn't said all I needed to say. That I hadn't hugged him enough. And then...I knew. I knew that he knew. That he knew he had a very special place in my heart. That I didn't need to say it. That he knew I would always be here for him. Because that's all I've ever been or shown him all his life. I've always been there. I've always loved him. And as much as I want him to stay, he must go out into that sometimes ugly world and make his way. He has to find his happiness. But there is no doubt in my mind that the foundation all his family has built for him, will help guide and hold him up no matter what he may face.
His ship is underway as soon as he gets back, and with the threats and status of the world today, he will be sent to god knows where to defend and assist whomever may need it. I worry about him. But I also believe in him. I know he is right where he needs to be.

Nick, I love you more then I can ever say. And I am more proud of you then I've ever been.
Just don't forget to call once in awhile.
XOXO

2 comments:

Kaci said...

Glad you got to spend some time with him. :( Be safe Nick!

Leah said...

I'm so glad you got to spend some time with him! He sounds like a wonderful and much loved part of your family.